This week we’ve got a delicious recipe for you all. It’s extremely easy to do, takes less than an hour and will go down well as a light dessert or even a snack with an afternoon tea or coffee.
Prep – 20 mins
Cook – 20 minutes
- 5 tbsp light sunflower oil + extra for greasing
- 300g self-rising flour
- 175g caster sugar
- 140g white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 200ml milk
- 1 large egg
- zest 2 blood orange, juice 2½
- Heat oven to 200°C/180°C with fan
- Lightly grease a muffin tin (12 hole)
- Mix the caster sugar, flour, baking powder and poppy seeds in a bowl.
- In a different bowl mix the oil, egg, milk zest and juice from 1 orange.
- Mix the two bowls together but leave the mixture clumpy.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for ~20 minutes until risen.
- Meanwhile, mix the left over zest with the white sugar. Prepare the remaining juice but do not add to the zest and sugar yet.
- After the muffins are cooked and have cooled for 5 minutes, add the juice to the zest and sugar mixture. Drizzle over the muffins and serve after another 5 minutes.
The best thing about muffins is there endless flavour combinations. You can make chocolate flavour muffins, vanilla, berry and even Quinoa muffins! The general recipe is the same for most so go nuts and just experiment with the different flavours. You might just find a hidden gem!